No question mark this time. You may have noticed we haven’t been publishing much in… let’s call it “a while.”

CityBike is done, too done to bother with the vacuous “stick a fork in me” idiot-oms that pass for “writing” in an alarming number of so-called publications in this modern age of empty-headed echo-chamberism.

More accurately: I’m done. Keeping CityBike pseudo-functional has consumed an unsustainable amount of my life for many years, and yeah, I probably would have kept on keepin’ on out of sheer stubbornness and obstinate tenacity, but I got hit by a car.

I have a hypothesis: the work-life un-balance we endure, even embrace, is a function of tolerance. It builds up over time.

We don’t start out thinking it’s fucking fulfilling to work 50-60 hours (or more) every week. Still, we’re fed inspirational quotes designed to make the folly of this work-as-definition-of-human-value existence palatable. It gets dressed up in duplicitous jive about work-life balance, achievement, finding deeper meaning in our careers, and other often-disingenuous drivel, and starts to feel normal. I’d built up such a tolerance for unreasonable levels of commitment that doing CityBike, a full-time-plus job on top of my already full-time-plus real job, didn’t feel all that weird.

Sure, I never slept, and eventually only rode for events and photoshoots because writing about motorcycles and facilitating a team of contributors and getting a print magazine out the door every month is all-consuming.

But motorcycles are fun, right? Ain’t that right?

I’ve shared many of the Fish-n-Gish conversations here in Uneasy Rider, and here’s another one: Fish, in an instance of classically-Fish tough-love-straight-talk, recently described my work “ethic” née addiction to me like he was giving me bad news, like I don’t know that I work too much. As if I wasn’t aware that I’d long since kissed the good parts of motorcycling goodbye, in exchange for… something else. I can hear his thoughtful feedback echoing in my mind, neatly packaging concepts like uncompromising, dedicated and impressively stupid for easy consumption over pre-ride chow.

Anyway…. a bunch of surgeries—and one more coming!—followed by a something like six weeks in a rented hospital bed in my living room, then a wheelchair, then crutches, then a cane, then (and still) constant pain—and let’s not forget the random infection in my reconstructed foot that landed me another week in the luxurious accommodations of Oakland’s Kaiser hospital.

I had time to think.

Instead of sharing super-thoughtful insights on Facebook like motorcyclists tend to do—”I figured it out! Wear all the gear, all the time, guys!”—I started coming to terms with the unsustainability of this whole thing, accepting a reality I’d been somewhat-successfully fending off for at least a couple of years. If I’d really done the math and accepted the answer, instead of just quitting print we would have shut down completely and gone riding.

But I didn’t want to give up.

Since the same remonstrative shitbirds that criticized my lack of running it by them when we decided to stop making a monthly print mag back in 2018 will surely have some studious and thoughtful insights on this, yes, I looked for alternative options. I spent several months on a hypothetically-potential path to keeping CityBike rolling in some form, but ultimately all my patience got me was a pile of frustration topped with abundant evidence that my initial assessment of that route’s low likelihood of success was correct. Painfully, obviously so.

So what now?

I was originally gonna put up a gone ridin’ sign accompanied by some vague twaddle about how we’re going on a long hiatus from which we may never return. But I think it’s time to call it. Motorcycle culture has changed, motorcycle media has changed, and neither for the better in my opinion. The CityBike approach has always been one of critical thinking and deep examination, and frankly, constantly fighting for the attention of the dumber-every-day, read-half-the-headline “readership” while pretending to be excited about more of the same from most of the industry sounds like way less fun that stringing together long days the road or exploring the mountains on on my dual-sport.

It’s not a “fit” for us, and I have about as much appetite for that shit as I do for the typical standing-around-in-costume bike night.

But we do have 30+ years of archives that need a home, a pallet of old mags in the basement here at World Headquarters. I have some ideas for that, and I also like the idea of getting all that online in its entirety. It’s a huge amount of work, though, scanning ancient pages and turning them into consumable content. So we’ll see.

Maybe we’ll sell the CityBike.com domain to one of those urban mobility companies that specialize in matching unfit-to-ride app users with two-wheeled machines that can be abandoned anywhere once the rider is done endangering pedestrians and themselves. Wouldn’t that be rich?

Thanks for reading, today and for the last few decades.

We have a few Ride Fast Take Chances shirts left in the shop if you want to grab one before they’re gone forever.

75 Responses

1. Patrick

I’m really sorry to hear this, Surj. However, I can’t blame you. This is the 1st year, in 20 years of riding, that I’m just nervous about riding, mainly due to the near-epidemic levels of distracted driving, texting-while-driving instances, and more-insulated-than-ever drivers in their cars. I can only say thank you. That won’t pay your bills, I get that. Thank you anyway. You have contributed so much and given so much. I hope your healing well but pain keeps reminding us of what we did. Heal well. Hope to “read” you on BARF! Thanks for everything, it was a great ride! :–) Patrick

Thanks Patrick. You win the “comment holeshot” award for today. 😉

2. Bill Harr

Surj, Thank you for all the memories. I wish you well and hope you heal and want to ride again in a few years.

Bill Harr

Thanks Bill!

I’m riding now. Did a good late-fall run on Sunday: Sonora>Monitor>Ebbetts then Ebbetts>Monitor>Sonora and back to Oakland. I was in a lot of pain by the end, but I’m riding. 🙂

• Aaron

What an awesome route to ride! I did that a few months back & still consider Ebbets my favorite of the passes. Also, thanks again for your years of dedication to the community & for hooking me up with my current & favorite bags so far – that set of Mosko BC35s. Hope to hear you hanging out with the Misfits down in Santa Cruz again.

• Jim Stinnett

Sorry to hear this, but I know the feeling.

To be honest, I am still mourning the exit of TT Motors, Mean Marshall and others from by bike-babyhood years.

But even nostalgia isn’t anything like it used to be.

Best wishes for your next chapter! And don’t forget to ride fast and take chances.

3. Curtis Lambert

Wow. Sad.
    Glad I saved all those old print issues stacked up in my hide from the wife space.
    Bless you my friends that I’ve never met in person.
    MOST OF ALL. THANK YOU FOR ALL THE JOY YOU GAVE US!!

4. jon

Didn’t know you got hurt – that is horrible news. I don’t really know what to say, other than to sincerely wish you a full recovery.

I read City Bike for years, loved it, and always looked forward to a new issue coming out. Thanks to you, and the rest of the staff, for helping to keep a small but great print publication going on for as long as it did.
    – Jon.

5. Jeff White

I really enjoyed reading City-Bike. I realize print media is changing and I did miss when CB went out of print.

But I do realize you invested a lot of time and know you had many readers who looked forward to your articles, paper.

So sorry to read about your crash, hope you have a full recovery, soon.

If you are going to continue riding do join me and some friends in the Vallejo area, especially next season when you are healed and the weather is nice.

Jeff

6. Arthur Rosato

I was just thinking about how great it was to read the print version. I completely understand your discontinuing publishing in any form. It’s more important to take care of yourself first, sorta like putting on your oxygen mask before your kid’s.
    Thanks for the ride, nothing else on the horizon comes close. Take care.

7. Gregory Frazier

I’ll be a wingman again if you undertake another moto-pub adventure. It was always an entertaining and educational pursuit to research what was needed to meet your monthly deadlines. One is never to old to learn, and CITY BIKE always added tools, data and knowledge to my cranial gray matter tool kit, that niche devoted to motorcycles.

Dr. Gregory Frazier
    Chief of the World Adventure Affairs Desk, CITY BIKE
    Author/Moto-journalist/general motorcycle wastrel pursuing adventurist affairs

• Surj Gish

Hell yes, Doc. I hope to ride with you again one of these days. Big Dog 2017 was a blast.

8. Gregg Gold

Surj,
    Thank you for everything. I discovered your mag at the wonderful but now defunct Black Lightning Cafe’ years ago. I looked forward every month to your cogent, honest, and thoughtful columns, and the unique perspective that City Mag presented. You contributed to my knowledge not only of motorcycles and motorcycle culture, but of people and life in general. I wish you all the best as you heal and move forward.
    Gregg

• Surj Gish

Wow, Gregg. Thank you for sharing—that’s exactly what we were shooting for with CityBike. It means a lot.

I miss the Black Lightning every time I ride up that way. It was my go-to spot in Eureka, and honestly, I’d plan around stopping there, where now I just ride on through. I thought I’d left my Black Lightning hat on a plane a while back and was overjoyed to find that I’d actually stuffed it into my backpack. 😀

9. Leslie James

CityBike thank you for all you have done; keeping we readers amazed and amused for all these years.

You will be missed.

Best regards,
    Leslie James

10. James Lickwar

Surj – I just bought a shirt and commented “hope all is well”, asked for something and THEN I read your post.

No, all is not well. I see that now.

I hope your recovery goes well and you are healthy.

Thank you for keeping the CityBike party going as long as you did. I’m headed down to the garage now to dig out some old copies.

Haha, James! Sorry man. I’ll follow up by email. 🙂

11. Matt Hepworth

Surj, GEEEEZ, I feel so guilty. I was one of those people who gave you shit about dropping print. I hate computers. I hate this computer. After I type this I may stick my fist through the monitor and piss in the tower. I have old motorcycles with carbs. All nine of them. Yup, carbs and yes, sometimes they run like crap. That said, I’m really sorry you got hurt bad. Doesn’t sound like one of those hurts that is worth it because you need new stories as everyone is sick of your old ones. I said it before, City Bike was one of the highlights of my reading life. Figures, you leave me mourning while the other dog shit magazines that cater to cell phone zombies and HD riders are still wasting trees. Many, many thanks, and if it’s any consolation, you DID make me laugh.
    Matt

• Surj Gish

Nah, Matt, I was referring to a handful of very specific people. It wasn’t you. 😉

Thanks for reading!

12. Michael Jones

Never had a chance to subscribe to the hard copy, but have always enjoyed the web-based ramblings and blog posts.

Thank you again for all of the entertainment, education and edification.

I hope your healing and therapy go down smoothly as a pale ale on a hot summer day.

13. Daniel Skapinsky

Thank you and wish you all the best in your future endeavors Surj. And heal fast.

14. oldironnow

You’re a brave man, Surj.
    From taking over City Bike, to this moment of clarity, I commend you for the abject courage and sheer balls.
    Your physical recovery is the only victory now.
    But I ask that you don’t totally disappear – leave a trail of bread crumbs so we can find the place where and when you decide to express your inner rider. Though the banality of the motorcycle scene has killed City Bike, your words are too good to keep to yourself.
    Be well, man.
    Be well, all City Bike fans.
    Damn… it was such a good ride.
    Randy

Thank you, Randy.

I do always have lots to say, and it’s hard to think about not having a place for that. I guess the question is whether it’s stuff that needs to be said. 😉

• eric weber

I for one think what you say matters. Take care of yourself, buddy! Hopefully we’ll see your by-line someday again. I look forward to to that day, when the time is right

• Leslie James

I do always have lots to say, …
        ////////////////////////////////////////////////
        Surj,
        The wise man talks because he has something to say.
        The fool talks because he has to say something.

You have always been the wise one. 🙂

Leslie James

15. reg kittrelle

Rode Fast. Took Chances.
    Many thanx; the legacy is set.

Welcome to the club.

16. Kimowasabe

Not that it’s any consolation, Surj, but I decided to hang up my boots after 47 years of riding, over 250k miles and 26 years of reading CityBike, because of an accident. This one was the first that was my fault. I violated my own mantra of never letting my guard down for less than two seconds, the result being a shattered Tibial plateau. Seven months later, I’m still looking at another six plus months of rehab.
    I feel your pain, my friend.
    I will still wear my CityBike t-shirt with pride, having earned it with a photo submission ten years ago.
    Thank you for all you have done to raise awareness of and for motorcyclists everywhere, and for the blood, sweat and bugs on your face shield of making CityBike my favorite mag.
    Hope the healing goes by quickly and you can slide that foot into a boot again soon.
    PS- the CityBike rack is still there, right next to a pay phone, at the Tomales Deli. I have a picture to prove it!

Thank you. 🙂

I’m riding again now, though I’ll have to pause for a while after the next surgery. I can’t give it up yet, though I’ll admit I thought about it.

• Kimowasabe

Glad to hear you’re keep the spark alive. I have to admit that I may have been premature in my decision. I totaled my ‘98 VFR (s/n 000038) after a complete restoration (Gawd it was gorgeous!) and was selling off leftover parts. The first guy to come over was 81 years old and didn’t get his M1 til 75 y/o. And he rides a 5th gen VFR! He’s my new hero!!
        I’m only 66, so I may just get back on that pony. I’ll need some new boots though.
        Thank you for all the inspiration you have provided, not just for me but for all of us, for so many years as well.

• Surj Gish

Aw man. I love VFRs. Had a ’91 and a 2000 myself.

17. Jim Gianatsis, Editor, Photographer

Another one bites the dust.
    Motorcycle journalism in America, It was a great ride while it lasted. From the Golden Age of Motocross in the late ’60s to mid ’80s, 2-stokes, Superbikes and Road Racing, multiple incredible publications like Cycle, Cyle Guide, Cycle World, Cycle News, et all, to Touring Adventure bikes. We will still have great bikes, if we can afford them, but no media to reflect the excitement and culture of motorcycling and draw new youngsters into the sport.

18. Jim Arnett

Just want to say thanks for all that you have done. I went through something like this several years ago (different industry) but it does take its toll on you. It also takes awhile to get over it , but after awhile life gets good again. Good luck and thanks again.

19. Kim Crumb

It’s an odd thing to say, but it’s good that while you crashed, you didn’t burn. You will heal up because you’re a fighter.
    I’ve enjoyed City Bike for a long time, love the perspective on riding and takes on life. When CYCLE went away, the then ‘powers that be’ used one of my illustrations for the City Bike cover. You accomplished a huge thing by keeping CB up on two wheels and true to its nature for so long in this ‘modern era.’
    Be well my friend.

20. Ran Bush

Thanks for all your efforts, Surj, and also to the rest of your crew that kept it high-quality for so long. I hope you heal up and stay healed, so to speak.

21. Kate

Thanks for all the good and interesting work you’ve done over the years. Although I’m sad to see CityBike go, I’m happy to hear you’re going to take care of yourself. Good healing and don’t forget to wave!

22. Bill Bornman

Thanks for keeping City Bike going as long as you did Surj. I enjoyed reading it for years and it – and you – will be missed. Glad to hear you’ve recovered enough to ride again. I crashed on my way home from work Thursday and luckily I was able to walk away. It will be a while before I’m well enough to ride again and I’m re-evaluating my primary commute method ( 🙁 ) but plan to be back on two wheels, hopefully sooner rather than later. Last comment, I was too late to get a t-shirt, guess I should have bought one months ago!

• Surj Gish

Yikes Bill! Take care of yourself. I totally get the “re-evaluating commute methods” thing. 🙂

We found some more shirts in our boxes of stuff, so there are a few more in the shop if you still want to grab one.

23. Ken

Good luck….we met a few years ago when I joined your f—k Black Friday ride I was the guy with the Bmw sidecar and cargo the giant poodle…we had fun …after years and seeking your city bike .. it was fun to meet…I also after Over 40+ years and one million + miles I too got smooshed by a cage driver on 3/16 /2018 … spent 82 days in 3 hospitals 15+ surgeries died and came back …I now have 50k prosthetic left leg to many hours or therapy and recovery…..I’m working to ride a new adaptive sidecar again SOON….we share the fun excitement and pleasure of motorcycle riding withe friends and family….be well and do the things you love….and the cages only got a failure to yield right of way….and back out driving and talking on the phone…DICK…

• Surj Gish

Goddamn, Ken! You beat me in the crappiest crash contest, and that’s not easy to do!

Take care of yourself. It was wonderful meeting you and Cargo a couple years back.

24. Jim Edwards

Surj, you did a great job keeping CB up and running for as long as you did. I’ve enjoyed every issue starting with those constructed by Brian Halton et al then and now. Getting a paper version of CB was never easy (I live in Reno) but, at least, I got to take a bunch of rides over the Sierra to A&S in Roseville. The face of motorcycling has/is changed and you can sit back and say you played a significant and positive part (especially the “lane splitting” legislation.) Thank you for your effort, insight and humor. All the best to you and the staff members of City Bike.

• Surj Gish

Thanks Jim. I was just thinking about the Blue Butt Rally while wrenching earlier this week and how I still have to make it up for that. I have the “absentee” plaque you sent me hanging in my garage. 🙂

• Jim Edwards

I’m in the planning stage for the 2020 Blue Butt Rally (ie. drinking a cup of coffee) and you’ll get an email for the next one. A comp’d ride is still yours. Get well soon.
        Jim

25. Jim

I to was one of those people who knew the day City Bike arrived at my local shop and I would be there from the 1980’s. Loved the stories with attitude, did some of the rides and events. Had no car for 30+ years and rode everywhere, everyday. I still have 12 bikes but ride less on the street after I crashed a Ducati at 80 mph and broke 9 bones. I get a lot of my bike mojo working and restoring. Anyway you’re making the right decision for this moment in your life. Things change as life moved on, take care of yourself it’s been a great ride…Thank you

26. Jack

No money in biker trash scribbles…car driver takes liberties with your body…no time for “real life”…to me it sounds like you need some WFO time and some Motorhead:) All the best:)

• Surj Gish

I was listening to Motorhead while I put the finishing touches on this earlier. No shit!

27. alessandro borroni

i had never read this magazine, but reading this last post/article made me wonder just how great and honest the previous ones must have been. The world is changing SO HARD (purposefully incorrect.. just felt appropriate). and it’s changing so NOW. so much of the time people spend exploring their interests and sharing their insights with others will be lost, or have been already. we simply don’t have TIME.

Surj, i neve knew you but I know my friend An worked there, so it must have been a kick-ass magazine.

• Surj Gish

Thanks, Alessandro. You can check out more of our stuff here, of course. The website will be sticking around in its current form for now.

And LOL at “SO HARD.” 😀

28. Kelly

Hey, Surj, sorry to hear about your crash. I was at A & S Motorcycles in Roseville for Oktoberfest rocking my City Bike shirt and many people commented on it – I also managed to spill spicy mustard on it that didn’t quite all wash out. I totally get you with your “real” job and your “fun” job…facing something similar. Anyway, when you want to tackle digitizing the paper, let me know and I can help out. I’ll miss the snark, tongue-in-cheeks comments, and the no bullshit attitude. Thanks for all you’ve done!

Sorry about that shirt, Kelly. I have several with similar problems myself. 🙂

I may shoot you a note to discuss the ancient-newspaper-to-digital stuff. Thanks!

29. Julian Orr

Well, hell. I’m sorry you got hurt, and I’m sorry you’re in pain. I’m very glad you decided to get back on and ride. Last year, I had a collision with a deer. After recovering from my injuries, I hesitated about riding, until one day I just wanted to get on and go. So I did.
    I’m sorry, too, about City Bike. It was a wonderful run, but I think you’re making the right decision. You have too many words, you’ll write something else, and it should be more fun without the burden of trying to keep a journal afloat. We look forward to it, whatever it is.

30. DUNCAN J THOMAS

Hey Surge-
    Sorry to hear about your mishap and hope you have the best possible recovery.
    I got to know some of the early CB folks that were part of the beginning and then got to meet you, so kind of a bookend experience. 🙂
    I had ben grabbing a copy of CB for as long as I can remember up and down the north coast in my travels.
    Always enjoyable ed and reviews and turned me on to local companies I would have not known about if not through the advertising in CB.
    Wishing you all the best in your future travels and endeavors.
    DT

31. Shit Ass MotherFucker

This is all fucking nonsense. Get some sleep. Wake up. Tell Fish to shut the fuck up. Keep it going.

32. Piers Moore-Ede

Sorry to hear that man. I found you a few years back, and instantly thought ‘Wow, here’s maybe the only bike journalist I’ve ever encountered who can really write. Your prose has vitality and rhythm to it, and most importantly a poetry which just really spoke to me. Hope you keep writing, even if not here…

33. George Martin

I wonder if the SF Public Library or UC Berkeley would take those archives? There was a lot of good stuff in that magazine. I wrote News, Clues and Rumors for Brian Halton during the golden era of 1987-97. A great bunch to hang out with and I got to ride some cool bikes.

I’m one of those old fogies who “used to ride” so I don’t pay much attention to MC journalism. But I picked up a Cycle World at Barnes and Noble a few months ago and was shocked and appalled — no stories! I don’t think there was a piece in there longer than about 300 words! Jeez, the youth of today! I guess if it won’t fit on a cell phone screen it’s not worth publishing.

• Surj Gish

That’s actually one of the options we’ve discussed, George. We’ll see if we can do anything with the hard copies first—but man, scanning all that stuff is a massive project. We’re looking at ways to simplify that, too.

I totally agree on the state of writing, for motorcycles and in general.

34. Dee Sulprizio

Dang Surj! Little did I know how timely my T-shirt order would be. Thank you thankyou thank you! If you’re active on BARF I might have to start looking at it again.
    I sincerely hope our paths cross out on the road someday, I’ll be wearing the matching ‘stich!
    Good Luck!

• Surj Gish

It’s all your fault for that shirt order, Dee! Hah!

35. Stuart Kirk

Surj,
    I, too, wish you a complete and speedy recovery. Very sad to learn of your car encounter. Every rider’s nightmare.

Unfortunately, but understandable, CityBike appears to be beyond the hope of recovery. That saddens me. For about 25 years since I resumed riding, CityBike reached me monthly through the US mail. It followed me from NYC, to SoCal, to Santa Fe NM. Among the many moto mags I once subscribed to, CB was my favorite–irreverent, humorous, self-effacing, and critically minded. CB made the other moto mags seem stale and contrived. CB under your leadership sustained me.

Best wishes, my friend.

36. Matt

People’s weren’t buying your woke BS. Good for them and us. Motorcyclists are better than that. Deal with it. Bye

37. james Larramendy

This is my fault. For years I could have been a subscriber but instead took the free paper from the Skywood rack and screamed at the ridiculous road tests of bikes I would never think of buying. Lampooned the articles as government propaganda to get us to actually like kick stand switches and bulbous turn signals. Ignored the ads in the back despite secretly wanting a pair of those Mexican Gasolina boots.

So now that my beer is flat, girlfriend and her sister gone, I`m left with the pale sky future without CityBike. Repent sinners, or at least help pay for things that bring you joy. Heal Fast Surj, owe ya a beer.

Cereal KLR

38. Joe Salas

Keep the tradition alive and hand the reigns over to the next schmuck that’s as passionate about riding as we are. Don’t kill it.

39. Raymond Stith

Surj, I am sorry that it has come to this end. I missed you at the last CMSP meeting, & really missed riding to the meeting with you & the crew. I am sure that I speak for many of us when I say that your contribution to motorcycle safety in print & by your actions is admired. I spoke at CMSP about the need to contact the root of motorcyclists who don’t attend rallys & can’t go to the shows. City Bike was a great means of contacting the motorcycling public.

40. Mike Drew

Surj,

I have been a CB reader and subscriber since the 80s. I let all my other moto mag subscriptions lapse when they became mindless advertiser-driven drivel, but always appreciated the unique CB point of view.

After decades of street riding, CB convinced me of the merits of doing it in the dirt too and I took up off-road riding six years ago at the age of 47 (just rode Foresthill yesterday—slowly as usual!)

The demise of CityBike mirrors the demise of the entire region. What was once an almost magical city has been transformed into a dystopian hellhole, populated largely by the type of people who ran into you and (hopefully only temporarily) changed your life for the worse.

I already fled the city more than 20 years ago, and feel much like a Titanic survivor watching from the suburban lifeboat. As it (and California society in general) slips beneath the waves, we can only remember fondly what once was.

It’s important to reflect on the people like you that helped fight against the decline and tried to keep this place as great as it could be. Although its proven to be a losing battle, it is all the more noble because of it. As one who has struggled to keep a local car club newsletter afloat for mire than 30 years, even as all my counterparts have foundered, I have a great understanding of the efforts you have invested, which were appreciated by many but truly understood by only a few.

A rational, objective person would say you were a fool to take on the CB project after Brian Halton gave it up. But it is people like you that bring joy to people’s lives, and that is something that will always be a worthwhile endeavor. Foolish though it may have been, it was also incredibly admirable, and you have rightly earned the respect and appreciation of many, many people.

Thank you. Thank you very much for all you have done for us. I will never, ever forget CityBike!

41. Alan

Surj,

As one of the longest running advertisers in City Bike I will truly miss you guys. I have always look forward to reading some of the great and crazy stories in CB from the very first issue until the last. I have learned a few things over the years from CB some were informative and some were just insane. Another legend goes dark in SF:(

Sorry to hear about your injury.
    Heal will my friend and as we say in New Orleans “laissez les bon temps rouler”

Alan
    Johnson Leather

• Surj Gish

Alan, thanks for the kind words, and your ongoing support. That meant an awful lot to us.

42. DaFoole

Surj, thanks for the great (and best) moto-read and carrying the torch for as long as you did. Was my go to for many, many years. Yet another sad loss for motorcyclistsHeal up.

43. Bill Metcalf

Surj, … so sorry to hear about your accident Prayers being sent your way for a full recovery. I had every issue of the paper from the first to the last. Then I had to move and thin out everything including CB Mag! Shortly after that the guys at Berkeley Honda told me the bad news that the CB Mag was gone forever, I damn near shit my pants! Surj, I WANT TO THANK YOU AND EVERYONE THAT MADE EACH ISSUE A ONE OF A KIND MASTERPIECE. Every month it, taught me, made laugh, sometimes cry and never failed to entertain me with stuff I love. I’ll be looking for you up on Skyline between HWY 92 and Santa Cruz on my naked custom 2000 X1 Lightning, Cheers Bro!

44. Kevin Smith

Surj,

Ever since the demise of CityBike in print I’d occasionally get around to visiting the site, looking for more of the scientific, humanistic, emotional, physical and intellectual tidbits that informed and sustained me for nearly all of my time in the Bay Area. (Whew, that sentence became too long.) Reading CityBike not only made me a better rider, it made me a better person. That’s a lot of credit to give to a moto mag but I felt that in reading CityBike I somehow absorbed a little bit of the coolness factor; if I couldn’t live on the fringe at least I would read those who did.
    As we found with Joe (R.I.P.), PKD and yes, Buell, sometimes it just isn’t possible to keep swimming against the tide. My sincere thanks to you and all the staff at CB for improving my life.